Wednesday, November 4, 2015

What I learned last week

Hello! I could sit here and talk about all the things we did last week, but they don't matter. So I am going to talk about all the things I LEARNED last week.

I learned that people can change no matter what and the atonement has no limits. I got to see Ben Emerson get baptized. He is someone we have been teaching since Sister Miles and I arrived in Sidney.  He has been investigating the church for a long time and has worked so hard for this day. He is an amazing man who has overcome so much to get to this point. He has wanted to join the church for thirty years, and finally, he was baptized! It would be impossible to describe how happy he was.  Christ's atonement was a miracle and because of it we can see miracles in our own lives.  The impossible can become possible!
 
Me and Ben
 
I learned the importance of loving the Lord with all our hearts, might, and strength. I am not perfect at this. In fact, I am probably not even good at it. I really have been trying to pray more and involve the Lord in the small things. I already do for big decisions, but for small things, I realized I rely mostly on myself. Yesterday we were going to contact a referral we received. For some reason, I thought I left the paper with her address at home. So we ran home real quick to grab it and I could not find it anywhere! I kept searching and searching when finally, after like fifteen minutes, I decided to pray. So I said a silent prayer asking Heavenly Father to help me find the paper with the address. I repeated the request twice before a thought came to mind, 'why must you do it all on your own. You have a companion for a reason.' This sudden thought out of nowhere reminded me of Matthew 19:20 when the young man is talking to Christ and wants to know what he must do to obtain eternal life.  He already obeyed the commandments so he asked "What lack I yet?"  When Elder Lawrence's used this in his talk at conference, I realized that I do not ask that question enough.  I wasn't using the help of my companion enough.  I then prayed for Heavenly Father to help Sister House and I find the paper together. After I ended my prayer, Sister House came out of the bathroom and said, "did you check inside your purse?" I did not even think about looking in my purse, but we did and there it was! I learned I shouldn't rely on myself all the time but I need to rely on, not only Heavenly Father and Christ, but the people they place in my path for a reason. Heavenly Father does not expect us to walk through life alone. He places certain people in our lives because He knows they are the people who can help us become what He intends for us.  Pride can keep us from asking for help.  Don't do things alone.  Allow the people, who were put there by God, to help you.
 
Another thing I learned this week is how much Heavenly Father loves me.  The other day, out of the blue, I felt an overwhelming powerful feeling of love from Him. I didn't know where it came from, but it helped me want to involve Him more throughout the day. I know, I should have learned this a long time ago, but we can't learn everything at once.  Line upon line, precept upon precept, knowledge and conversion happen over time. That is why we are here!
 
I learned that life is eternal.  We cannot stay on this earth forever.  Our bodies were made to wear out.  It is sad but it is also wonderful.  After we live a good life and our spirits leave our bodies to return to the presence of God, we will have filled the measure of our creation.  Moses 1:39. "For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."
 
 I was sad to say goodbye to the Flynn's, the people we live with here. They are snowbirds and go to Arizona for the winter. They have been a blessing to live with!
 
 
 
 Happy Halloween. I am the worst pumpkin carver. It is a little guy with a bow tie. I tried. 
 
 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week! Love you! 

Sister Park 

No comments: